SALT TOLERANT GRASS
With new golf courses being built throughout the country, we are
setting a new standard of excellence when it comes to the
environmental issues and golf course development. With concerns of
water conservation at the forefront of the industry, and new
environmental regulations being imposed everywhere regarding
pesticide usage on golf courses; we are using a new grass called Seashore paspalum (The Environmental Turfgrass). Seashore paspalum is a remarkable species of grass, and among the recent releases of new paspalum cultivars, SeaDwarf® is unique.
- True ‘dwarftype’ paspalum
- Blue-green color with excellent striping (from mowing patterns)
- Very tight, dense surface
- Widest adaptation to environmental conditions and applications
- Can tolerate periods of drought
- Maintained to mow heights of 0.1 inch, making it perfect for putting greens
- Infrequent mowing needed for heights of 2-3 inches
- The best cold weather color retention, eliminating the need to winter overseed with a cool season grass.
- The most salt tolerant, with the ability to withstand ongoing irrigation having salinity levels
of up to 12,000 ppm TDS
- Recovers quickly from divots and traffic and wear
- Pesticides are virtually unnecessary when using a paspalum grass and saline irrigation
The salt tolerant characteristics of SeaDwarf® allows us to utilize saline,
brackish, and treated water sources
that are unfit for human or agriculture use and thereby eliminates the need to deplete our precious fresh water supplies for future generations.
The turf color and density of SeaDwarf® are unsurpassed. It has a nice blue-green color with excellent striping (from mowing patterns) and forms a very tight, dense surface that golfers love to play on. It is not uncommon to see SeaDwarf® rhizomes down 4-6 inches in the soil, with roots reaching 2 feet deep. Having such an extensive root system enables SeaDwarf® to recover very quickly from divots, traffic and wear, and helps it to tolerate periods of severe drought.
Being in a desert Biosphere Reserve zone here at San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico;
we chose to use SeaDwarf® wall-to-wall on our new Las Caras de Mexico (the Faces of Mexico) golf course, because of its’ unique and environmentally friendly characteristics. We are very happy with our accomplishment (the first golf course in San Felipe
and the first paspalum course in Baja) and also very proud to be a part of the new environmentally aware Mexico.
SeaDwarf® Grass at Las Caras de Mexico Golf Course
The Development and Sale of SeaDwarf®
The company owner, Pat Butler, always knew the only way to develop
a golf course in the Bio-Reserve Zone in San Felipe was with
paspalum grass. We acquired the worldwide patent rights for
the SeaDwarf® and Neptune® paspalum and retained the exclusive
breeder and grower rights for the grass in Mexico.
Because of the success we have had with the SeaDrawf® and our
desire to promote environmentally sensitive alternatives we have
become distributors of this environmentally sound sod.
Rising from the dregs of harsh environmental conditions, SeaDwarf® paspalum is now poised to take on the tough conditions found in Mexico and other inhospitable regions."
SeaDwarf® Seashore paspalum is a turf arising from a research program geared toward saline habitats and designed for harsh growing conditions. SeaDwarf® was developed from a turf breeding program designed around a breeding technique termed ‘mass deselection’. What this means is that potential turf cultivars are screened out or culled, based upon their ability to handle harsh, saline environmental conditions. Michael DePew, the turf
inventor primarily responsible for the development of SeaDwarf, describes the breeding program: "Basically we would evaluate our turf progeny and see if we could kill them with close mowing, high traffic, high growing temperatures, compacted soils and high salinity. If the turf survived this regime, then it had potential as a turf in our program and it would then undergo further evaluation.”
From this harsh turf development program emerged the turf ‘SeaDwarf’®. Through an affiliate of SFR Holdings, Inc., a Colorado corporation, SeaDwarf® is now available from 'International Management Services de Mexico, S.A. de C.V' or "IMS." IMS or a quality sod producer licensed within Mexico by IMS may provide SeaDwarf for Mexican golf course projects. In addition, quality sod producers licensed by Environmental Turf outside of Mexico may ship SeaDwarf into the country. This turf is available for golf development in Mexico and has been successfully used on recent golf constructions including:
- Playa Mujeres. Greg Norman Design. Troon Golf Managed.
- Wall to wall in Cancun.
- Yucatan CC. Jack Nicklauss Design.
- Wall to wall in Merida.
- Paraiso CC. Pedro Guereca Design.
- Greens and tees in Cuernavaca, Mex.
- San Jose CC. Jack Nicklauss Design.
- Greens and Tees in San Jose del Cabo, Mex.
- Puerto Los Cabos. Jack Nicklauss / Greg Norman Designs.
- Greens and Tees in San Jose del Cabo, Mex.
- Litibu. G. Norman Design.
- Wall to wall in Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico.
- CC Valle Alto. Marcelino Moreno Design.
- Greens in Monterrey, Mexico.
- Loretto Bay. David Duvall Design, Troon Golf Managed.
- Greens and Tees in Loretto, Mexico.
- Las Caras de Mexico. Bradford Benz Design. - Wall to wall
- Marina Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Sinola, Mexico - Wall to Wall
- Las Palomes, Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico - Wall to wall
Both the San Felipe and Puerto Penasco courses have faced extremes of high salinity, water shortages, high desert temps coupled with high humidity, freezing temps and constant winds. Many times these courses had to resort to using water exceeding 12,000 ppm during the grow-in period with temperatures exceeding 105 degrees. SeaDwarf® has also been tested in high salinity extremes from the Caribbean to North Africa to the Middle East.
We are a local and International supplier of SeaDwarf®. We run a turf nursery operation in San Felipe for providing SeaDwarf® to new golf course developments in Mexico. We also own the US plant patent for SeaDwarf®
and Neptune®, with Environmental Turf Inc., a Florida corporation, having all rights
of licensing and distribution worldwide outside of Mexico as the Master Licensor.
Commercial quantities are available for projects throughout Mexico from production sites within Mexico.
If you are interested in finding out more about SeaDwarf® and
Neptune® Grass or would like to use it on your new golf course development please feel free to contact us in Mexico or visit our web site at www.bturf.com.
From the US & Canada 011 - 52 - 686 - 576-0585
From Mexico (686) 576-0585
Fax: (686) 577-6105
Cell: (686) 573-0285
Come tee it up on our beautiful SeaDwarf paspalum, seaside golf course.....you’ll love the experience!!